Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Something More


Recently I remembered a day with my daughter last year. We were standing in the middle of Lowes, waiting for a piece of plywood to be cut. I was helping my husband do a construction job that day, so I had on old clothes, messy hair, no makeup and I hadn't showered that morning.

I was holding her in my arms when all of a sudden she did the oddest thing. She stuck her nose deep in my neck, that little crevice between muscle and collarbone, and inhaled loudly. Then she did it again, right under my jaw.

I looked at her and asked "What are you doing" laughing out loud.

She looked up at me, straight in the eyes and said "You smell good Mommy."

I asked her, "How do I smell?" puzzled now, because I had no perfume, nor had I showered remember...

She replied with a shrug, all the while, still sniffing at my neck, "I don't know, you just smell good. Like 'YOU'. You have a smell and Daddy does too."

Awestruck I stood there, staring at her. This beautiful, innocent 6 year old child had brought my sense of reality to a screeching halt.

I've always believed in intuition, a higher calling, heightened senses and more, having experienced too many things in my life to deny them. But never, have I ever known a child to have such knowledge.

We all have a "scent" pheromones, hormones, etc. Unique to us all, babies learn this scent from birth, especially nursing infants, they can tell when their mother enters a room even without seeing her.

However, my daughter, 6 years LATER still recognized and "knew" this scent...
This is just one of several instances over the span of her lifetime that has made me take a step back and marvel at the unique wonder, awe-inspiring beauty that is a child.

1 comment:

  1. Children are always more aware and open than adults. Society, friends, parents, etc. are the ones that make them question what they feel, see, hear, smell, etc.
    You have been given a wonderful gift...you get to see the world again through your children and validate them. So wonderful you are embracing it!

    ReplyDelete